At Ancillary Care Solutions (ACS), we have gathered a team of medical, financial, legal, human resources and commercial property professionals that provide our clients with a single source of expertise necessary to successfully develop and manage therapy and other ancillary services.
Hilary Hellman Hilary Hellman, an ACS founder and principal, focuses on driving performance in operations, recruiting and billing for ACS’ clients. Ms. Hellman has more than 25 years of healthcare management experience. Her first venture was as the sole owner of a nationwide rehabilitation company that specialized in the sales, marketing, licensing, service delivery and management of rehabilitation facilities, acute hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies and specialty outpatient clinics. In addition, Ms. Hellman has been a principal at several start-up companies, including a long-term care facility, a leading edge pharmacy and disease management company and a healthcare software enterprise. Ms. Hellman is certified by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) and is a member of Adaptive Business Leaders (ABL) and Executive Women in Healthcare. She is also presently developing her knowledge and expertise in Lean principles, recently attending the Virginia Mason Lean Leadership Certification Training in Seattle, Washington. Ms. Hellman earned a Bachelor of Science Degree and Master of Science Degree in speech-language pathology and audiology from San Diego State University.
Ms. Hellman is a frequent presenter and author on related therapy topics. Recent presentations and publications include:
- Speaking Engagements
- “Transforming Outpatient Rehab Performance: A Case Study on How ‘Lean’ Principles were used to Eliminate Waste, Improve Clinical Outcomes and Substantially Increase Net Income,” ACS Webinar, 2012
- “Common Outpatient PT/OT/ST Financial, Operation and Compliance Challenges,” “Efficient and Effective Use of EMR/EHR,” Pennsylvania Association of Rehabilitation Facilities, 2011 Course
- “Compliant and Efficient Paper and Electronic Documentation,” American Medical Rehabilitation Providers Association, October 2011
- “Managing for Success: Optimum Program and Site-Specific Leadership Models,” American Medical Rehabilitation Providers Association, September 2011
- “Quality Measures Defined-Dig Beyond Financial Benchmarks,” MGMA Connexion, April 2011
Cary B. Edgar Cary Edgar is one of ACS’ founders and principals. He focuses on financial, legal and regulatory matters for ACS’ clients. Prior to founding ACS, Mr. Edgar was the chief executive officer of a firm that developed and managed more than 150 outpatient rehabilitation facilities in more than 30 states. Mr. Edgar also practiced law for more than 15 years, most recently as a partner with the international law firm of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey. As an attorney, Mr. Edgar specialized in helping clients establish new ventures, including outpatient rehabilitation facilities, ambulatory surgery centers and cancer treatment centers. He earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan and law degree from Northwestern University.
Mr. Edgar is a frequent speaker and author on ancillary-related topics. Recent speaking engagements and publications include:
- Speaking Engagements
- “Therapy-Specific Benchmarks: Improving Provider Productivity, Program Profitability and Patient Clinical Outcomes,” “New and Anticipated Regulatory Requirements and Payment Models,” Pennsylvania Association of Rehabilitation Facilities, 2012 Course
- “Orthopaedic Ancillaries Update on Financial/Operational Benchmarks and Regulatory Developments,” American Association of Orthopaedic Executives, 2011 Annual Conference
- “Alternative (and Legal) Methods of Allocating Ancillary Income,” American Association of Orthopaedic Executives, 2010 Annual Conference
- “Physical Therapy Phytness-Getting Your Therapy Practice in Shape,” American Association of Orthopaedic Executives, 2009 Annual Conference
- “Incentive Compensation Plans for Physical and Occupational Therapists: Developing and Implementing a Bonus Plan that Works for Your Practice and Patients,” ACS Webinar, March 2012
- “Outpatient Rehab Analytics: Using Data Analytics to Drive Improvements in Quality and Financial Results,” ACS Webinar, July 2012
- “Recruiting Physical and Occupational Therapists,” AAOS Now, July 2012
- “An Analysis of the APTA’s Decades Long Campaign Against Physician-Owned Physical Therapy,” Advance for Physical Therapy and Rehab Medicine, October 2011
- “Benchmarking Physical Therapy Programs,” AAOS Now, July 2011
Sue Bowles Sue Bowles is ACS’ regional operations manager for Washington, Oregon, California and Arizona. She has more than 25 years of healthcare management experience and previously served as manager of outpatient therapy services at Cedars Sinai Health System and executive director of gift services at UCLA. At Cedars, she successfully developed a number of specialty programs, including cancer rehab, lymphedema, urinary incontinence, voice center, ergonomics evaluations, return to work evaluations, and driving and community re-entry programs. Sue is a certified trainer for the Meyer’s Briggs Type Indicator and has held many teambuilding and training events utilizing this tool. She has also served on the faculty of Mt. St. Mary’s College in Los Angeles and is currently part-time faculty in the Division of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in occupational therapy from the University of Puget Sound, Master of Business Administration degree from Pepperdine University and most recently her Doctorate in Occupational Therapy from the University of Southern California.
Ms. Bowles is a frequent speaker and author on leadership and management topics. Recent courses, speaking engagements and publications include:
- Speaking Engagements
- Meyers Briggs Workshops for students, therapists and administrators
- Leadership Development Program for Middle Managers, Faculty member, AOTA, 2010-2011
- “Determining the Appropriate Mix of Therapists, Assistants and Aides,” “Recruiting and Retaining Skilled, Productive Providers,” “Effective Training and Utilization of Front Desk Staff,” Pennsylvania Association of Rehabilitation Facilities, 2011 Course
- “Building Blocks of Leadership and Management Workshop,” University of Southern California, 2012
- “Building Blocks of Leadership Development,” 2011 ACS Directors Conference
- “Using Personality Type to Improve Patient Communication and Adherence to Therapy Programs,” ASC Directors Conference, 2011
- “How to Effectively Get Paid for the Services You Provide,” California Occupational Therapy Association, 2011
- Leadership: Facilitating and Optimizing the Leader in You, OTAC and Practice Issues Forum, 2012
- “Motivating and Retaining Staff,” ACS Webinar, 2011
- “Recruiting Physical and Occupational Therapists,” AAOS Now, July 2012
Vicki Lampert Vicki Lampert is ACS’ director of recruiting. She has more than 15 years of experience recruiting professional staff members for healthcare organizations. Before joining ACS, she managed recruiting for the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz. Ms. Lampert has also recruited for Meridian Health System, a multi-site healthcare provider based on the East Coast. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the State University of New York in Albany, N.Y., and is certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR).
Carol Kus Carol Kus is ACS’ regional operations manager for the Pacific Northwest. She has more than 20 years of physical and occupational therapy management experience. Prior to joining ACS, Ms. Kus was the manager of physical and occupational therapy services at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup, Wash., where she managed inpatient and outpatient clinics in several locations. She also served as an associate professor in the Occupational Therapy Program at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash. Before entering management, Ms. Kus practiced occupational therapy in physical disability settings. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in occupational therapy from Wayne State University, a Master of Science degree in allied health from Ohio State University and an MBA from the University of Puget Sound.
Todd Hixson Todd Hixson is ACS’ Midwest regional operations manager. He is a licensed physical therapist with more than 11 years of clinical and management experience in outpatient rehabilitation clinics. Immediately prior to joining ACS, Mr. Hixson was director of outpatient operations at Midwest HealthStrategies in Muncie, Ind. At Midwest, he was responsible for program development, marketing, coding, billing and documentation for 10 outpatient clinics. He also helped to develop a human motion analysis laboratory and specialty clinic in collaboration with Ball State University’s Biomechanics Department, which gives clinicians the ability to use a 3-D motion capture and neurocom balance system to treat orthopedic, pediatric, neurological and sports patients. Mr. Hixson’s clinical focus has been with orthopedic, sports medicine and spine patients, and he has received McKenzie Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy A-E training. An ASTYM certified clinician, he earned a master’s degree in physical therapy from the University of Iowa and a master’s degree in health education from the University of Northern Iowa, and he is a member of the McKenzie Institute.
Bret Stacy Bret Stacy is ACS/ has joined its team as Eastern regional operations manager. Bret began his career as a B-52 navigator in the Air Force before becoming a physical therapist. He now has over 17 years of practice experience focusing on sports therapy and outpatient orthopedics. He operated his own private practices in both Hawaii and Maryland. He also served as a regional director for a nationwide physical therapy management company where he was responsible for planning, marketing, recruiting, new program development and team building for nine outpatient orthopedic offices in the greater Washington, DC metropolitan area. Bret is also credentialed through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and USA Track and Field. He has special interests in sports physical therapy and athletic performance and has worked with the training staffs and athletes at the University of Southern California and Duke University. He earned a master’s degree in physical therapy from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA.
Laura Sole Laura Sole is ACS’ administrative director and assists ACS clients with human resource and credentialing matters. She has more than 15 years of healthcare experience, specializing in materials management and human resources. Prior to joining ACS, Ms. Sole was a human resources generalist at Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank, N.J., where she supported more than 800 employees with benefits, compensation, recruitment and policy interpretation. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from Regis University in Denver and is certified as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR).
Francis Charway Francis Charway serves as a financial analyst for ACS. In this capacity, he helps develop and analyze financial, productivity, patient satisfaction and other reports for ACS clients. Prior to joining ACS, Mr. Charway was a documentation review administrator at The Bank of New York. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in information systems and organizational management from Fairfield University in Connecticut.
Francine Bernstein Francine Bernstein, who is one of the foremost experts on therapy documentation, provides physical therapy documentation review and consulting services to ACS and its clients. Ms. Bernstein has over 25 years of therapy documentation and claims review experience and expertise. She has served as an auditor and consultant for National Government Services, Anthem Blue Cross, United Government Services and Blue Shield of California. She has also worked as a physical therapist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Northridge Hospital Medical Center and in other capacities. Ms. Bernstein obtained her bachelor’s degree from UCLA where she majored in kinesiology and Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from the University of Southern California.
Cindy Law-Till Cindy Law-Till provides speech therapy documentation review and consulting services for ACS and its clients. Cindy is a speech language pathologist with more than 20 years of healthcare consulting experience. She has provided third-party medical review for utilization management and post-service claims involving multiple policies and states. She has also been involved in policy development and presentation of guidelines for professional practice. Her clinical experience includes clinical supervisory duties and treatment of children through adults in hospital and clinic settings. She is certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). She received degrees in speech-language pathology from the University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A.) and Northwestern University (M.A.)
ACS Affiliated Partners
Jim Zedrow Jim Zedrow directs the review of tenant improvement costs for ACS clients that are building out new or renovating clinic space. With more than 25 years of bid review and construction oversight experience, Mr. Zedrow is able to provide ACS clients with invaluable input in the negotiation of competitive build-out agreements.
Hector Medina ACS has teamed with Hector Medina to provide space planning services for ACS clients. Hector helps ACS clients visualize how their selected space can be most efficiently used for therapy services and provides ACS clients with detailed layouts. Hector has extensive experience designing all types of commercial space.